Sunday, October 5, 2008

These are all quotes from a book I'm reading for one of my classes. I love all of them and just wanted to share. Maybe a blog of quotes is a lame thing but the quotes are great so I'm blogging other people's words tonight.

"It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak.  We are half-hearted creatures, fooling around with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea.  We are far too easily pleased." C. S. Lewis

"For the sinful self is not my real self, it is not the self You have wanted for me, only the self that I have wanted for myself.  And I no longer want this false self. But now, Father, I come to You in your own Son's self... and it is He Who presents me to You." -Thomas Merton

"When we have met our Lord in the silent intimacy of our prayer, then we will also meet him...in the market, and in the town square. But when we have not met him in the center of our own hearts, we cannot expect to meet him in the busyness of our daily lives." - Henri Nouwen

"We have plenty of examples in this world of poor things being used for good purposes. God can make any indifferent thing, as well as evil itself, an instrument for good; but I submit that to do this is the business of God and not of any human being." - Flannery O'Conner

"You don't always have to chop with the sword of truth.  You can point with it, too." Anne Lamott

"The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet." - Frederick Buechner

2 comments:

Jenn Ruggles said...

I like these. I have had blogs where I just quote someone else's words. Sometimes you have too.

Sarah said...

I like quotes. Quotes make me reflect and force me to think.