Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Thank you lysosomes

today in anatomy, mr. roar taught us about lysosomes.

when embryos are forming, they apparently start as "a mass." Lysosomes cause "cell death" to certain cells. I'm sure that's a very complicated process and I really don't know anything about it. I'm completely intrigued by it tho... anyway, certain cells are basically killed off. they have to die in order to form a hand or a face or whatever body part it's going for... so that's one spiritual connection i was making. once again, there must be death for life to come through. this seems to run throughout so many different topics. (seeds/flowers, Jesus. lysosomes, personal lives, feel free to add more examples) God isn't letting us forget how important this is. If Jesus wouldn't have died or wouldn't have risen from the dead, we wouldn't be able to get so close to God. We wouldn't have the opportunity to really get to know Him, and lysosomes. of all things, can remind us of this.

The other thing I kept thinking about was kind of this... "Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out; you formed me in my mother's womb."- psalm 139:13 (MSG) Mr. Roar kept saying the lysosomes "sculpt" the mass. I got such a cool visual connection of God sculpting us. He chips away the parts of us that must die in order for us to life the best life. Sure, we may be able to life as a giant mass (maybe not) but what kind of life would that be? I'm so thankful he formed me just how he wanted me... that He used those little tiny lysosomes to mold me, even tho some of my original cells had to die, and I'm glad He continues to get rid of the parts of me that need to die... I know this is a strange connection, but God really spoke to me in anatomy class today. Yes, I know I'm a science nerd but I'm ok with that... God can been seen in anything, especially science.

6 comments:

anna said...

oh man...
i gotta follow up..

anna said...

nevermind, marty already blogged about it a while ago..

check this out!

http://thet5guy.blogspot.com/2007/03/ok-i-feel-very-small.html

anna said...

lol wait...

http://thet5guy.blogspot.com/
2007/03/ok-i-feel-very-small.html



k thats the last comment..

Sarah said...

This was very interesting. I'm amazed by your thoughts at your age. I wish I could have heard Mr. Roar talk about this. He was one of my favorite teachers.

julie p said...

wow....dan roar....preacher man...

i love it.

valerie said...

not intentionally a preacher man, but God can use anyone